Job Title: Sr Underwriter
Location: Melbourne, FL
Reports To: CEO
Department/ Group: Underwriting
Travel Required: No
Position Type: Full Time / Exempt
Orion180 is a quickly growing Insurance technology-based insurance company that provides property insurance solutions using an online insurance technology (InsureTech) platform. Orion offers its proprietary homeowner insurance products to insurance agents in four states with plans to rapidly expand nationwide. Orion’s mission is to offer a suite of proprietary insurance products through both the agent and consumer channels via its best-in-class technology platform. To keep up with our rapid growth, we are seeking a professional to join our team.
The Sr Underwriter will oversee all Underwriting staff/teams, processes, and methods in order to write profitable new business, as well as address issues adversely affecting underwriting results. This role promotes and supports growth opportunities while maintaining underwriting integrity. Develops and directs the strategy and operational objectives, related to Underwriting. The Sr Underwritter will have the ability to work as part of a team in a deadline driven environment, be able to multitask, and be comfortable taking directions as well as working independently.
Role and Responsibilities
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and should demonstrate the following competencies to consistently perform the essential functions of this position. All employees are expected to adhere to and be knowledgeable of Orion180 operations standards, established security/safety rules and requirements for attendance. The requirements listed below are representative of the fundamental knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the job successfully:
- Ensures the achievement of continued profitability, growth, and operational efficiencies of the business through assessment of risk tolerance, market appetite, and emerging risk/underwriting issues. Communicates effectively the present and long-term profitability priorities for the organization.
- Accountable for the profitability of the business—analyzing the product portfolio for opportunities and providing recommendations by product, distribution channel, and geography.
- Is the Underwriting SME ensuring appropriate experience level and skillset co-align with delegated Underwriting Authorities.
- Champions opportunities and recommendations to enhance P&L performance. Provides early warning on developing issues in claims, persistency, and resulting implications to P&L across products/channels business mix.
- Oversees all Individual Underwriting authorities, processes and staffing to ensure timely risk assessment of individual applicants applying for coverage.
- Partners with the appropriate leaders to set the annual & strategic plan that ensures the business strategy is executed upon with line of sight on the various levers/opportunities for increasing profitability.
- Leads, directs, and has management accountability for Underwriting staff with emphasis on building organizational capability, talent management, and promoting a culture of superior portfolio management and product underwriting.
- Ensures all reinsurance is placed and renewed in accordance with the appropriate guidelines.
- Develops and maintains underwriting guidelines, best practices, and strategies.
- Manages the budget, maintaining cost controls, expense management, and standards.
Qualifications, Experience & Certifications
- Advanced evaluation and analytical skills with the ability to apply critical thinking to complex business models and scenarios, providing strategic business recommendations/solutions regarding the overall risk/big picture of rating actions to assist profitable growth and/or improve financial results.
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills, which includes strong presentation skills and influencing/persuasive skills.
- Ability to influence internal and external staff/brokers/clients to ensure appropriate risk decisions are made, negotiated, and properly communicated.
- Strong managerial and leadership skills needed to set team and company direction, and manage a complex underwriting, product, and data management organization, which sets a standard of excellence.
- Ability to work within a dynamic and challenging environment; handle multiple priorities, often under tight deadlines.
- 15+ years of Group Underwriting experience with at least 5+ years in a senior management role
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Management, Actuarial, Legal, or related
- Chief Underwriting Officer, SVP or VP commensurate based on experience
- Industry experience required.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a team-oriented environment.
- Must be self-directed and able to meet deadlines.
- Highly computer literate with advanced Excel skills.
- Strong technical accounting skills with core knowledge of internal controls
- Solid understanding of policies and procedures.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels.
- Act as a relationship builder and collaborator; ability to drive consensus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including presenting and facilitating meetings.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Awareness of business trends.
- Experience with creating financial statements.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Aptitude for numbers and quantitative skills.
Proficiencies / Key Words
- Corporate Finance
- Reporting Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Reporting Research Results
- Time Management
- Data Entry Management
- Basic Math
- Planning and Organizing
- Scheduling and Monitoring
- Communication Skills
- Problem Analysis and Problem-Solving Skills
While performing general office duties for this position, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand and/or walk around (including the use of stairs). Other demands include the ability to openly communicate with others by talking, listening, and reading, being able to lift light objects (<25lbs), and use standard office equipment such as computer, printer, and phone. In addition, there is an occasional need to bend, twist or stoop to open/close cabinets, reach for files or other standard office type objects.
The office environment is generally quiet and, in a temperature controlled setting with random adjustments in noise or temperature due conversations, unscheduled maintenance repairs to the building or its interior offices or unpredictable situations due to weather or other acts beyond company control. An employee must be willing to work their regularly assigned work schedule for their duties and/or job responsibilities and in times of need, be able to work an extended schedule depending on company/department needs, project requirements or customer demands.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (321) 460-8484 or HR@orion180.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against based on disability.